How to create .iso file image of cdrom (atapi)?

Francisco francisco at natserv.net
Tue Jan 6 19:40:35 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, W. Sierke wrote:

> Is there a straightforward way of creating a file image (.iso) of a data
> cdrom mounted in an atapi cd-rom drive?

I use a port called mkisofs.
mkisofs -R -l -J -o <filename> .

So you would mount the CD and then CD into it.

To later burn to another CD I use
burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 10 data $1 fixate

Where 10 is the speed of my burner, but you should set it to the max speed
of yours.. which if your CD burner is recent is probably faster than 10.
:-)

Hope that helps.

As far as I knowh though this approach will not work to copy a bootable
CD. The ISO image will be created and the content will be there, but the
new CD will not be bootable.