"Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Tue Jan 6 06:07:25 PST 2004

--- Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Beware; if you write a disklabel (or presumably bsdlabel; I have no
> experience
> with 5.x) to ad6 you create a "dangerously dedicated"
> disk, i.e. a disk without slices.

Ok. I am not saying that's what I want to do, I only mentioned it because
the man page for disklabel/bsdlabel uses the entire disk (/dev/da0) as an
example.

"man disklabel" brings up bsdlabel, which is why I mention bsdlabel instead.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bsdlabel

> Are you saying that the disklabels reported for ad6s1 and ad6s1c are
> different?

This is correct. Your surprise suggests that it was good I mentioned that,
eh? :) Glad I haven't done anything yet.

In summary, ad6s1 returns an offset of 0 and no error. ad6s1c returns an
offset of 63 and the rest of the info is identical except for the following
error tagged on at the end:

partition c: partition extends past end of unit
bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system
utilities
partition e: partition extends past end of unit

> Under FreeBSD 4.x ad6s1 and ad6s1c would normally be aliases referencing
> the entire slice. Maybe 5.x is different! I'm now very confused.

I'm not sure... maybe Sergey wants to pipe in here on this point?

> What is reported by fdisk?

Ah, I'm at work now. Can't do that from here... I'll let you know later.

Thanks!