Xsane, HP ScanJet 2200C, and a grinding noise...

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Mon Jan 5 15:59:51 PST 2004

Has anyone seen any issues with XSane and a scanner using the Plustek
bits? The scanner I use has an LM9832 National SemiConductor/Plustek
chip; the scanner is USB, and prior to an upgrade to Sane it never
made a grinding noise. It never core dumped, either.

A recent update to the ports tree and world on this machine:

FreeBSD anna.chthonixia.net 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #1: Thu Jan
1 12:56:25 EST 2004 root at anna.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ANNA
i386

seems to mark the start of the issue. That is, prior to updating the
backends port, there was no problem with this scanner, and especially
no grinding noise nor core dump.

The backends for Sane are at version 2003-11-23: SANE-Backends-1.0.13.

The prior version, 1.0.11, is dated 04/26/03.

I note at Xsane.org:

2003 Aug 27: xsane-0.92 source released

Where the FreeBSD port is at:

PORTVERSION=    0.91

Dated on or about August 21, 2003. I've looked at various distfiles at
ftp.freebsd.org, to see if my ports update failed for this one port,
but I don't see such a failure.

I'm going to look elsewhere for answers, but given that there seems to
be an issue (the grinding noise, which will damage a scanner) I
thought that a heads up might be appropriate for people on this list
using this scanner.

Thanks and best regards,

Joe