Updating Ports Index

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Mon Jan 5 15:37:56 PST 2004

What FBSD version are you running?
Did you download the cvsup ports-base?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Rishi
Chopra
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 6:23 PM
To: questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Updating Ports Index

For some reason, I can't seem to update the index for the ports
database:

idfubar# cd /usr/ports
idfubar# make index
Generating INDEX-5 - please wait..perl: not found
perl: not found
Done.

I also tried attempting my first 'portsdb -Uu' after a successful
CVSUp,
but am running into some problems:

idfubar# portsdb -Uu
Updating the ports index ... perl: not found
/usr/local/sbin/make_describe_pass2:70:in `write': Broken pipe
(Errno::EPIPE)
       from /usr/local/sbin/make_describe_pass2:70:in `puts'
       from /usr/local/sbin/make_describe_pass2:70
failed to generate INDEX!
portsdb: index generation error

Can anyone explain why I might be getting these errors?  My
installation
was a minimal install, do I need to install something else for the
'make
index' command to work properly?

-R