Installing PCI modem in machine with 4 serial ports (HELP!)

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Mon Jan 5 15:04:59 PST 2004

To start with you are very light with details about your
environment, like what version of FBSD you are running and when you
say the modem works, you failed to say if it worked in an FBSD
system or MS/Windows system.

For your info many of the PCI modems on the market are manufactured
specially for MS/windows and are missing the onboard controller. The
controller function is performed by the modem driver you have to
load into MS/windows. If you have one of those winmodems but it back
in your windows box where it belongs.

Lets assume your modem has the onboard controller.
Have you reviewed the boot log  /var/run/dmesg.boot file?
It may be found as (unknown) in that case it may be an winmodem for
sure, or you have installed FBSD on an pre Y2K PC and it's bio's are
giving FBSD problems.
Adding  device puc  to your kernel source and recompiling your
kernel will fix this problem.

The other condition is the your modem is found at boot time and is
moved to sio4 which is really com5 which in not defined in the 4.x
versions of FBSD.

  sio0: <Zoom PCI Modem> port
0xe400-0xe407,0xe000-0xe0ff,0xdc00-0xdcff mem 0xe2000000-
  sio0: moving to sio4
  sio4: type 16550A

   Sio4 is internal device cuaa4.
   For some unknown reason this device is not in the device table
for 4.x versions
   You have to create it manually by doing the following commands.

  cd /dev
  ls -l /dev/cuaa4            shows as not found
  sh MAKEDEV cuaa4            run script to make the device.
MAKEDEV must be in caps.
  ls -l /dev/cuaa4            now shows it's there

	Device cuaa4 is the device you tell user ppp to use to connect with
your PIC modem.

If you are running 5.x version of FBSD then you do not have to
makedev it auto in 5.x.