Mount /cdrom as non-root user - does this actually work for anyone?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon Jan 5 10:53:31 PST 2004

Hello,
     Thanks for the reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Sun, 04 Jan, 2004 21:54 GMT
Subject: Re: Mount /cdrom as non-root user - does this actually work for anyone?

> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 08:31, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     Thanks for the reply.

Yes., I tried this in the end (well., 644 instead of 666) and I am now able to mount the cd-rw drive as an ordinary user, as well as the cdrom drives on the others..,

However, this *does* seem to make the whole deal about adding users to the operator group kind of redundant, it appears.., I could have left users where they were and done the above and it would have worked all the same..,

Also, if the HandBook has only procedures that would work for only SCSI drives, who do I contact in order for some procedure relevant to those users in the community that would want to / need to do the same for hosts with IDE drives?

Thanks again for taking the time, and the patience..,

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts