Viability of 5.X line for production use

John Fox readbsd at mind.net
Mon Jan 5 09:41:13 PST 2004

Hello,

We're planning some new mail servers, and until now I've been assuming
that they would run under FreeBSD 4.X.  But it occurred to me this
morning that the 4.X line is going to go away relatively soon, and that
perhaps I'd be better off going with 5.X for these new boxen, as it
would probably simplify the upgrade (keeping up with releases and bug
fixes) process.

So I'm wondering -- do the experts here judge 5.X as ready for use
in a production environment, or would that be asking for trouble?

Any thoughts appreciated,

John
| John Fox <readbsd at mind.net>  |   System Administrator   | InfoStructure   |