viewing sgml articles

Dru dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 5 07:21:22 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:48:13AM -0500, Dru wrote:
> > >
> > > What's the easiest way for an end-user to view the SGML articles in
> > > /usr/doc? Is there a viewer, or do they have to be converted to say, html
> > > first? I know they're mirrored online, but it would be nice to have the
> > > ability to read off-line.
> >
> > Install the textproc/docproj-nojadetex port and run
> > "cd /usr/doc;make install clean".
> >
> > The formatted docs will then be in /usr/share/doc.
>
> Or even just download the pre-built documentation from the FreeBSD FTP
> sites.  Instructions for doing that are at the top of all of the
> pieces of documentation.

Thanks to you both.

I think the mist is clearing, let's see if I have this straight. The
contents of /usr/share/doc come with the system, and any cvsup'd changes
go instead into /usr/doc. If I want to merge the two, I use Ceri's
suggestion. Otherwise, I can download direct as per Lowell's suggestion.

Dru