How do I read digital camera on USB port with hppsmtools?

Ken Seggerman suleyman at panix.com
Mon Jan 5 01:30:53 PST 2004

I have a USB port on my old laptop running FreeBSD 4.3 Release.

usb0: OHCI version 1.0
usb0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
usb0: OHCI version 1.0
usb0: <NEC uPD 9210 USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0

I plug the camera into the USB port, turn on the camera, it beeps and says
it is connected to a computer.

When I use the hppsmtools-1.0 command "psmdir -port /dev/usb0 all",
or change PSM_DIR to /dev/usb0 (the default is the serial port), and
issue the command "psmdir all", I get "Error raising DTR.  Errno 22".

Am I doing anything wrong, or failing to set something up first?

Do I need to put the USB port on a mount point in /etc/fstab, or run
MAKEDEV on /dev/usb0 or something?

Thanks,

Ken