[5.2-RC SMP] panic: pmap_invalidate_page/range // no trace yet

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at galgenberg.net
Sun Jan 4 15:28:25 PST 2004

Hi guys,

let's start from the beginning.

I did a minimal install from the 5.1 Release cds, added ports
and sources. Cvsup'ed that to RELENG_5_2.
After that the box [dual ppro] paniced/rebooted often,
but after a while I could get the panic messages.
All were of the type:
	panic: free: address 0xd5556000(0xd5556000) has not been allocated

After searching the net/mailing list archives I found one threat
in freebsd-current concerning this on recent freeBSD versions.
So, according to what they did i downloaded one file from HEAD
via cvsweb and exchanged that:
/usr/src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_pcib.c
RELENG_5_2: v1.34	HEAD: v1.36

Rebuilt the kernel an never got that panic again. But since then
I get panics like these:
	panic: pmap_invalidate_page: interrupts disabled
	panic: pmap_invalidate_range: interrupts disabled

Polled the archives again and found one thread were they workarounded
these issues by disabling harvesting via /etc/rc.conf.
Tried that but it did not help, I still get these panics.
Just for clarification, right now I am running a kernel built
with v1.36 of the above mentioned file and a world built with v1.34
as the box panics before i could complete a buildworld.

And that's where I'm stuck. I think the problem is homemade with
bumping this single file to 1.36, not working with other parts any more.
But going back would most likely bring the free: panics back.
Invariants/Witness is at the moment not compiled in, but doing it
should be no problem, normally buildkernel finishs fast enough.

Had anyone similar problems and solved them? Or has an idea and
could share it with me, point me to some ressources?

Attached you can find:
- verbose dmesg
- verbose mptable
- kernel conf