starting daemons at server start

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Sun Jan 4 11:04:12 PST 2004

Maybe you just don't understand what you are seeing. Inetd is the
Super server. Every thing you uncomment in the inetd.conf file is an
server of it own right. But instead of an daemon running for telnet
or FTP all the time. Inetd runs and listens on the ports where those
services would be listings and when inetd sees an request on the
specified port it automatically launches the server for that
service. With inetd running , ps ax only shows inetd running, but
start an telnet session to your box and you will see that inetd has
spawned an telnet server session. When your telnet users leaves the
session, the telnet server terminates. Inetd is used to conserve
resources.