Can I fix or replace libXt.so.6 to run Netscape pkg from 4.3 CD?

Ken Seggerman suleyman at panix.com
Sun Jan 4 08:32:21 PST 2004

Hello Lowell,

Thanks for responding to my question.

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Ken Seggerman <suleyman at panix.com> writes:
>
> > I am running  FreeBSD 4.3 on an old laptop.
> >
> > Something (maybe Mozilla) stepped on something. Trying to run netscape-
> > communicator (with wrapper and remote) results in the following error:
> >
> > $ /usr/local/bin/netscape
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6: minor version -1
> > older than expected 0, using it anyway
> > ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"
> > I have a couple of libXt.so.6.0 files in /usr/compat/linux and one in
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/aout. Might the latter work?
> >
> > Upgrading 4.3 or using ports are not practical right now.
> >
> > Any ideas would be welcme.
>
> I think you may be looking at the wrong library.  That's a Linux
> program, isn't it?  You would need to look at the Linux version
> of the library, not the native FreeBSD...

The Netscape off of the CDROM is native FreeBSD. My uninformed guess
based on location is that /usr/libexec/ld.so, /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6
and /usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXt.so.6.0 are native to FreeBSD and that
/usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0 and
/usr/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXt.so.6.0 are Linux
libraries.

Is there any way to determine what magic number or version of
libXt.so.6 ld.so expects and query these libXt.so.6 files to see
their magic numbers?

I know this will be a lot easier when I upgrade to 5.X, get a high speed
connection and use the ports collection.

Thanks,

Ken