Problems with startx on 5.2-RC2

Martin Brecher listuser at mb-itconsulting.com
Sat Jan 3 09:23:59 PST 2004

Jaroslaw Nozderko wrote:
[...]
>>However, I managed to work around these freezes by removing the two
>>SMP-related lines from my kernel configuration:
>>
>>options         SMP  # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
>>device          apic # I/O APIC
>>
>>Additionally, I am sure ACPI does not have anything to do with this --
>>at least on this box.
>
> Well, it's getting more and more interesting...
> I'm curious what does it have to do with SMP ?
>
> Are you sure it has nothing to do with ACPI ?
> Other posters suggests disabling ACPI. Did you try
> and it didn't help ?

ACPI is still activated. Removing those two lines from my kernel
configuration solved the problem for me. Have you tried that? This would
help nailing the problem down, I guess.

BTW, I haven't tried with the geforce again, yet -- still running the
i740 (which had the problems, too, of course).

Some people mentioned that the X11 freezes crawled in shortly before the
5.2 branch; was there some (major?) update to the APIC stuff maybe?
(Just guessing wild.)

Greetings,
Martin