problem with 2 nics in same box

Scott Renna srenna at vdbmusic.com
Sat Jan 3 08:58:44 PST 2004

Hello List,

I am having some difficulty in getting my xl0 and xl1 3com cards to work
the way I'd like.  I'm running 5.1 Release and I'm basically trying to
have one interface with no IP address(specifying it as such in
/etc/rc.conf as ifconfig_xl1="up") And I'd like to have the other(xl0)
to have an IP address of my Internal Network.  The purpose of this setup
is to sniff traffic with the interface that has no IP address and allow
for management and reporting over the interface that has an IP
associated with the Internal network.

For some reason, this is just not working for me at all.  I've tried to
configure via rc.conf and this fails to work.  I've also tried assigning
an RFC 1918 address to the interface I want sniffing as this traffic
should not be routable, but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Here's what my rc.conf looks like:

Hello List,

I am having some difficulty in getting my xl0 and xl1 3com cards to work
the way I'd like.  I'm running 5.1 Release and I'm basically trying to
have one interface with no IP address(specifying it as such in
/etc/rc.conf as ifconfig_xl1="up") And I'd like to have the other(xl0)
to have an IP address of my Internal Network.  The purpose of this setup
is to sniff traffic with the interface that has no IP address and allow
for management and reporting over the interface that has an IP
associated with the Internal network.

Here's the first few lines of my /etc/rc.conf

defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
hostname="charon"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.6 netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_x11="up"

Will this accomplish what I'm trying to do successfully?

Scott