Problem installing the ISO images (5.1 and 5.2)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Jan 3 07:14:40 PST 2004

Olivier Gautherot <ogautherot at freesurf.fr>(by way of Olivier Gautherot\ <ogautherot at freesurf.fr>) writes:

> I'm facing a funny situation that I don't really understand... I'm currently
> running 5.1 (I thought it was -STABLE but the CDROM says -RELEASE, so I'm not
> completely sure as I have had it for some time). It installed painlessly.

You seem to be confused about what a release is, or what a code branch
is.  There are some entries in the FAQ that might help explain this...

> As I was reorganizing my hard disk, I thought I would upgrade to 5.2 but, for
> some reason, it won't install. The CDROM image seems to have been written
> fine, it boots properly, I can edit and select the various options, I can
> repartition the disk (basically to erase the partition contents), the base
> system loads fine ... until it tries to load the PERL package, where it
> fails. As a number of packages depend on PERL, they won't install either.
> This happens with both 5.2-RC1 and 5.2-RC2 (I remember seeing the same on the
> latest 5.1-RELEASE too).

Why not just install without perl or the dependent packages, then add
them afterwards?

To actually have a chance of fixing the problem, we'd need to know
more details of what happens when "it fails."