laptop hardware profile

Eric F Crist ecrist at adtechintegrated.com
Fri Jan 2 13:39:26 PST 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 02:06 pm, Dru wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a tutorial/documentation available for creating a
> hardware profile? I'm thinking of something that allows the user to
> choose to either configure a wireless or a wired NIC during bootup. I
> could script it after bootup, but I'd prefer to do it during loader.

FWIW, I have a wired NIC and a wifi NIC.  The wifi doesn't attempt to do DHCP
unless it's plugged in.  The wired NIC is integrated, so it always tries to
look and if there's a connection, it works, if not, obviously no.  If you're
using PCMCIA wifi/wired NICs this is pretty trivial to accomplish.  It's
simply the lines:

pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP"

Put these in your rc.conf file.  For more options see man rc.conf.

HTH

--
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc