Changing Apache

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 10:47:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 01:09:17PM -0500, Marius Kirschner wrote:
> Thanks, Matthew, much appreciated.  I assume I'll be able to use my current
> httpd.conf file, but just rename it to httpsd.conf?

No, it's still called httpd.conf.  There's a whole passel of extra
configuration stuff to do with enabling SSL -- take a look at the
default httpd.conf that gets installed by the apache13-modssl port.

> Also, if I get a certificate for www.whatever.com will I be able to refer to
> it via http:// and https://?

Well, ish.  When you compile the port, you will be given the option to
generate several flavours of test key.  These will permit the HTTPS
server to work, but visitors will get pop-ups all the time warning
that your site isn't trusted.  You will have to generate a .csr
(Certificate Signing Request) and send it off to one of the CAs to get
it signed by a recognised key, and then everything will work smoothly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way