What is wrong with pppd version 2.3.5?

Achim Gorski gorski at netapp.com
Fri Jan 2 00:36:17 PST 2004

Recently I installed 5.2-RC2 for testing purpose and
saw an unexplainable behaviour of pppd 2.3.5.
I have an old FreeBSD 4.2 running and connecting via
modem with ppp to an ISP using ipfw, natd and pppd.
Then I configured the 5.2-RC2 install logical identical,
but it does not route any packets. I can ping ppp0 but not
the default gateway. This was pppd 2.3.5.
Because I did not found anything wrong, I just copied the
old pppd binary version 2.3.1 from 1998 to the 5.2-RC2 test
system and this works! I was really surprised, because I
did not change anything except the pppd binary.

Any clue what is wrong here? Is it my configuration or
something in pppd? What changed in version 2.3.5?

Thanks, Achim

Here is what I configured.

$ pppd user username /dev/cuaa0  57600 connect 'my script'

/etc/ppp/options:
modem crtscts noipdefault defaultroute netmask 255.255.255.0

/etc/rc.conf:
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
firewall_logging="YES"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="ppp0"
natd_flags="-dynamic "
gateway_enable="YES"

Kernel:
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPDIVERT
options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options         IPSTEALTH