File system full?

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Thu Jan 1 21:53:44 PST 2004

Malcolm Kay wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:44, Brian Astill wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:30 am, Eric F Crist wrote:
>>

>>>How big is necessary for a /usr partition?  Mine keeps filling up and
>>>I've deleted /usr/obj and /usr/ports/distfiles regularly.
>>>
>>>Here's my df -h readout:
>>>
>>>$ df -h
>>>Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>>>/dev/ad0s3a  1008M    92M   835M    10%    /
>>>/dev/ad0s2   1020M    19M  1001M     2%    /dos
>>>/dev/ad0s3g   4.8G    69M   4.3G     2%    /home
>>>/dev/ad0s3e   3.9G   3.9G -260.5M   107%    /usr
>>>/dev/ad0s3f  1008M    27M   900M     3%    /var
>>>/dev/ad0s1     24G    22G   2.9G    88%    /nt
>>>procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
>>>/dev/da0s1     61M    61M   632K    99%    /umass
>>>$
>>>

>>My /home is a link to /usr/home.  Isn't yours?
>>If it IS (notwithstanding your creation of a /home partition), that
>>would explain why you have only 69M in /home but 3.9G in /usr.
>>

>One of the suggested setups is to provide home with its own partition.
>And even though you don't use it it is not so uncommon.
>

>>The two partitions appear to be adjacent.  If they are, Partition Magic
>>(or similar) could merge those two partitions non-destructively, and
>>your problem would be solved.
>>

>This sounds like a disaster --- partition magic works with MS
>partitions or in FBSD terms slices -- to the best I my knowledge it does
>not know about BSD style partitions.
>
>I'd also be very surprised if it is able to merge BSD file systems
>non-destructively.

I'm almost positive it doesn't.  Partition Magic also needs to
understand the underlying filesystem, not just the partition table, as
almost any operation aside from expanding a single partition on a disk
with only one partition plus unused space would result in actually
moving data around..   PM 8.0 (should be the latest I believe) can't
touch Linux ReiserFS, so I'd be highly surprised if it understood UFS2.

Scott