Can't shutdown, logout, or restart cleanly

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 1 20:58:18 PST 2004

I am running 5.2-CURRENT on my PII-400 desktop.  I have done 3 installs
of FreeBSD each time cvsupping to 5.2 current (using ISOs for 5.1 and
5.2) to do the initial install.

EVERY time I get the following problem.  When I try to logout, reboot,
or shutdown the machine from X, the machine locks up (no mouse or
keyboard response) and I have to do a cold reboot.  I am presented with
the black text screen seen during bootup right before it launches X
(sorry, don't know what to call it) with my

login:

prompt (again, no response from keyboard or mouse input...it's like X
shuts down entirely and then the machine locks trying to go to the next
step).  This happens whether I use xdm, kdm, or gdm.  I have seen other
posts with some similar symptoms refer to ACPI and disabling this (I
can't find the entry in my BIOS to turn this off).  It's an old Asus P2B
motherboard.  I'm not even sure it's the problem, but I'm willing to
look at anything!

I really want to use FreeBSD, but having to do constant cold restarts
when I shutdown or try to switch users is going to get old fast (not to
mention the eventual damage to my files...even though I've got soft
updates enabled;) )

I will provide any additional input I can, I realize it's not much to go
on now, but hopefully those more knowledgeable than me can guide me to
some things to look at to figure out why this is happening.

Thanks.