ISC dhcpd serve configuration question

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Jan 1 16:28:04 PST 2004

I'm still trying to get ISC dhcp to work in a "redundnat" fashion where I
have 2 machines, and they share an address pool.

Here's where I am on this.

Well I thoguht I had it working for a minute.

The executbale is _really_ picky about the syntax od the config file, and I
found some help at:

http://www.lithodyne.net/docs/dhcp/dhcp-4.html#ss4.3

So, I wound up with this on the master machine:

# dhcpd.conf
#
# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
#

# option definitions common to all supported networks...
option domain-name "fas.com";
option domain-name-servers 205.159.77.224, 205.159.77.225;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
# network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
authoritative;

# ad-hoc DNS update scheme - set to "none" to disable dynamic DNS updates.
ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;
option domain-name "fas.com";
ddns-domainname "fas.com";

zone fas.com. {
    primary 127.0.0.1;
}

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
# log-facility local7;

# No service will be given on this subnet, but declaring it helps the
# DHCP server to understand the network topology.

subnet 10.152.187.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
}

failover peer "pool" {
         primary;
         address black.fas.com;
         port 519;
         peer address cindy.fas.com;
         peer port 520;
	 split 128;
         max-response-delay 60;
         max-unacked-updates 10;
         mclt 3600;
         load balance max seconds 3;
       }

subnet 205.159.77.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
pool {
	failover peer "pool";
	range 205.159.77.50 205.159.77.75;
	deny dynamic bootp clients;
	}
	option routers 205.159.77.234;
}

And this on the slave:

# dhcpd.conf
#
[...]

         secondary;
         address cindy.fas.com;
         port 519;
         peer address black.fas.com;
         peer port 520;
         max-response-delay 60;
         max-unacked-updates 10;
         mclt 3600;
         load balance max seconds 3;
       }

subnet 205.159.77.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
pool {
	failover peer "pool";
	range 205.159.77.50 205.159.77.75;
	deny dynamic bootp clients;
	}
	option routers 205.159.77.234;
}

And both sides started up OK. But when I booted one of the OpenBSD machines
as a client it failed to get an address.

Looking at tcpdump it _si_ a bootp packet that it sends, so I'm wondering
if this line is the problem?

	deny dynamic bootp clients;

Any ideas?

neither liberty nor safety."