VPN via ssh ?

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Sun Feb 29 02:25:18 PST 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 2:27 AM, stan wrote:

> I can connect to my home machines from work using "runsocks ssh". Now
> it
> seems to me that I ought to be able to build a full blown VPN tunnel
> using
> this, right?

You'll need to run PPP inside it.  I use the simple scripts at

	http://www.webweaving.org/vpn-tools/

One -BIG- problem with any type of tunnels over TCP (ssh is TCP) is that
any TCP connections inside that tunnel get mightlily confused when tere
is a packet drop/retry on the outer tunnel; as the inner tunnels come to
about the same conclusion at the same time. And you get lovely little
avelances and your pipes wadded up.

Dw