a good solution share the speaker?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Feb 27 21:05:09 PST 2004

In the last episode (Feb 28), Zhang Weiwu said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> >In the last episode (Feb 28), Zhang Weiwu said:
> >

> >>Several people are using notebooks in the office, the big desktop
> >>computer stores music. A good speaker is pluged into the desktop
> >>computer (FreeBSD).
> >>
> >>What do you think is the best solution to share the speaker?
> >>
> >>These are what I can think of:
> >>* Marc Lehmann wrote a perl module for playing music with mpg123. Write a
> >>cgi script and let people select playlist/control play on the webpage.
> >>* Find a existing good mpg123 frontend, modify it, let it control the
> >>mpg123 on another computer through ssh or even let inetd bring up the
> >>mpg123 player and let the fontend talk to a socket.
> >>

> >http://www-scf.usc.edu/~bozhang/notes/esd.html describes how to use
> >esound (which the mpg123 port is built with) to send audio to a remote
> >machine.  You could also use xmms, since it has esd support too.  I
>
> That's a good idea. I am worrying that uncompressed sound takes lots of
> bandwidth, some people in the office are using (average) 500Kbps
> bluetooth link, uncompressed CD audio is 16*2*44100=1400Kbps, can esound
> manipulate it?

At that rate, Bluetooth is probably too slow for raw CD audio.  Either
of your two solutions would work.  Option 2 is probably easier to
implement and lets people keep their music files on their own machines.
On the other hand, if your link goes down or the person goes out of
range, you're in trouble.  Option 1 keeps all the music files on the
server.  A little searching came up with http://www.jinzora.org/ ,
which is a PHP script that seems to implement Option 1 and then some.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com