Problem with dhclient

Gerard Seibert gerard-seibert at rcn.com
Fri Feb 27 15:53:03 PST 2004

I am running FreeBSD version 5.2.1

I seem to have developed a problem with running DHCP on my computer. The dhclient is no longer working correctly. It was running fine until today.

Upon bootup it no longer makes a connection. I have tried "sysinstall" and things get even weirder. I click <configure> <Networking> <interfaces> and then my network card device. No to IPv6 and yes to DHCP. At that point an error message is printed across the screen saying: dhcp client: end_packet: no route to host interface on device /dev/cuaa0. Eventually this message times out and I get to the configuration screen. However, entering the correct information does not seem to help. I have tried removing the /dev/cuaa0 device and rebooting, but nothing good happpens.

How do I go about getting it working again.

I should mention that I have two other computers on this net, all connected via a network hub to a router and then to a cable modem. The other two machines are running XP without any problems. This machine was working correctly until today, Therefore I assume that something got corrupted.

Thanks in advance.

Gerard Seibert