Looking for ipfw info.

Shaun T. Erickson ste at ste-land.com
Thu Feb 26 10:13:11 PST 2004

Thanks for the resources.

A couple of questions (because I'm new to FreeBSD):

The ipfw man page in 5.2.1-RELEASE says that ipfw in CURRENT is ipfw2
and that ipfw in STABLE is ipfw1. I still don't understand the
releationship between RELEASE and the other two, so I am not sure which
ipfw I have in 5.2.1-RELEASE.

I have read the following 5 excellent articles on ipfw, by Dru Lavigne.
Even though they were written in 2001, and thus pre-date ipfw2, I found
them to be a great crash course in ipfw, and the ipfw manpage in
5.2.1-RELEASE just adds to it.

In Dru's first article, she(?) discusses how the kernel must be modified
to support a firewall. She looks into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT to
find the relevant information that needs to be added to my kernel conf
file. I cannot find a LINT file on my 5.2.1-RELEASE system. Where can I
find complete information on what I need to do to my kernel?

TIA

	-ste

P.S.: I find that ipfw rules are far more human-readable than I thought,
and when comparing my linux server's ipchains rules to
/etc/rc.firewall's "simple" firewall rules, I found them to be very
similar. :)