cvsup config file

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 09:57:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 07:22:41AM -0500, Ed Budd wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:43:43 +0900
> Rob <nospam at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>

> > Noah wrote:

> > > *default release=cvs tag=.

> > > ports-all

> > That's how I cvsup my ports tree. So should be alright for keeping
> > up-to-date with STABLE.

> Uh, doesn't the "tag=." reference mean -CURRENT not -STABLE? I think the
> OP wants "tag=RELENG_4_9" or "tag=RELENG_4", depending on whether wants
> the RELEASE with sec patches or 4x-stable.
>
> Or is it far too early in the morning for me to be responding to this?

The OP was cvsup'ing the *ports* tree.  The RELENG_x or RELENG_x_y
tags simply don't exist in the section of the CVS repository dedicated
to ports, so trying to use them in a ports supfile is exceedingly
counterproductive -- in fact, they will result in all of the files
under /usr/ports being deleted.  The only tag you would want to use
for the ports is 'tag=.', ie. the HEAD revision from CVS.  There are
tags like RELEASE_4_9_0 in the ports tree, but these are intended for
the benefit of the people putting together release CD sets rather than
for end users like thee and me.

Remember, the ports are developed independently from the main system.
There is no "version" of the ports tree for any particular version of
the system.  There are package sets available compiled for release
with the system, which you could describe as "Packages for Release
Foo", but there's really nothing stopping you using those packages on
other release versions with the same major version number.  Your
success at doing that may not be total if the release you're using is
a long way away from the release the packages were compiled under, but,
modulo occasional incompatible changes in the pkg tools and other such
things; in general it should work.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way