cvsupfile question

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Wed Feb 25 11:58:22 PST 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 20:17, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> I installed 5.2 from ISOs, then wanted to keep it up to date with the
> latest security fixes and to keep my ports & doc trees up to date as
> well. I tried the following cvsupfile, and got two thirds of what I
> wanted, so I must not quite understand it yet. My ports & docs are up to
> date, but instead of just getting security fixes to 5.2, my system
> source jumped to 5.2.1rc2. I don't want to go to 5.2.1 until it's

This is normal. 5.2.1 will be a point release off the RELENG_5_2 branch and
it's in code freeze at the time. So you got what you asked. It has security
fixes as well as other bugfixes. The same has happened with some of the 4.x
releases at the time. It's my understanding that if there are several
critical security patches shortly after a major release and/or too much
breakage, a point release is made.

> officially released. I'm reinstalling from scratch, and want to do it
> right this time. Can someone help me correct my cvsupfile, please? TIA
>
> peter# cat /etc/cvsupfile
> *default  tag=RELENG_5_2
> *default  host=cvsup12.us.freebsd.org
> *default  prefix=/usr
> *default  base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default  release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>
> src-all
> *default tag=.
> ports-all
> doc-all
> peter#

/usr/share/examples/cvsup has example supfiles. IMHO you should have a
seperate ports supfile, you'll likely update ports more often then your src.
I normally only change the host and the tag if I want a releng supfile.

HTH,

Dan