Does anybody installed DVD Rom on FreeBSD 4.9?

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Wed Feb 25 09:50:42 PST 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 11:15 am, Carla Neves wrote:
>  Hi dear FreeBSD users,
>  I would like to install a DVD R+W on my Proliant Ml330 for backups
>  purposes.
>  Before I buy the DVD Rom, I would like to know if someone has done
>  that before with success for FreeBSD 4.9.
>  I checked on freebsd sites that there is a SW for FreeBSD 4.9,
> called,
>  used for burning DVDs and it is compatible with several DVD R+W
>  providers. Anyway, I would like to know if I need something more
>  besides this SW, like: DVD drivers, Kernel configurations...
>
>  Thanks in advance for your help
>
>  CG

Assuming you will use an IDE DVD burner, you will need to recompile the kernel
with the atapicam device.  You can burn DVD's using the port dvd+rw-tools.
Regardless of the port's name, it also burns DVD-R/RW.

You can get the instructions you need from the FreeBSD Handbook.  The relevant
pages can be found online at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html

I documented my success with certain hardware and media in an email at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1258438+1261486+/usr/local/www/db/
text/2004/freebsd-questions/20040118.freebsd-questions

If your DVD burner also burns CD-R/RW, you can use burn CD's using mkisofs and
cdrecord.  Both of these applications are included in the cdrtools port that
can be found at:

/usr/ports/sysutils/cdrtools

glabels is an application for creating CD/DVD labels.  It has templates for
many Avery and Neato label sheets.  You can find glabels in the ports at:

/usr/ports/deskutils/glabels/

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould