[FAQ pointer] Re: How to start single user mode or safe mode

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Feb 23 07:07:06 PST 2004

Stephen Liu <satimis at icare.com.hk> writes:

> Hi all folks,
>
> Accidentally I made a mistake
>
> # ee /etc/rc.conf
> hostname=localhost
>
> and could not start the PC
>
> At booting
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> Hit <ENTER>
> # ee  (could not work)
>
> I rebooted the PC.  At booting, selecting [3] or [4] could not boot to
> 'safe mode' nor 'single user mode'
>
> Kindly advise how to boot to 'single user mode' or 'safe mode'

The precise answer depends on what version of FreeBSD you're running,
which you failed to mention.  You can work it out from the FreeBSD FAQ
entry titled "I made a mistake in rc.conf, or another startup file,
and now I cannot edit it because the filesystem is read-only. What
should I do?", which you can read at:
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#RCCONF-READONLY