Help with Vinum disk crash...

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 22 20:14:47 PST 2004

On Wednesday, 18 February 2004 at  9:34:29 +0100, Danny Carroll wrote:
> Quoting Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org>:
>> I answered an almost identical question yesterday: it depends on the
>> volume structure, which you haven't stated.  Look at
>> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and supply in
>> particular the output of 'vinum list', unless the following applies:
>>
>> If this volume has only one plex, you're lost, unless you can bring up
>> the failed disk long enough to make a backup.
>
> Here is the output:
>
> 20 drives:

As Tony Frank points out, this is 16 too many.  But it shouldn't be
related to your problems.

I don't see the rest of the information I ask for.

> I am only interested in the big one (data) the others were just for
> experimentation....  I thought since the plex was setup as raid5 it
> would be ok?

Should be.

> I have 4 106gb subdisks, and see 318Gb of data...  The 4th subdisk
> is becuase of the loss from Raid5 right?

This is the overhead for the RAID-5 parity.

> Did I set this up incorrectly?

Only as noted.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.