fully deinstall X

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Feb 22 11:10:00 PST 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 10:17 am, Noah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I fully deinstall X
> I will reinstall after I rebuild my machine with a 4.9-Stable system
>
> # !pkg                         [/usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui]
> pkg_info | grep XFree86
> XFree86-FontServer-4.2.0 XFree86-4 Font Server
> XFree86-Server-4.2.0_3 XFree86-4 X server and related programs
> XFree86-documents-4.2.0 XFree86-4 Document Files
> XFree86-font100dpi-4.2.0 XFree86-4 bitmap 100 dpi fonts
> XFree86-font75dpi-4.2.0 XFree86-4 bitmap 75 dpi fonts
> XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.2.0 XFree86-4 Cyrillic Fonts
> XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.2.0 XFree86-4 default bitmap fonts
> XFree86-fontEncodings-4.2.0 XFree86-4 font encoding files
> XFree86-fontScalable-4.2.0 XFree86-4 Scalable font files
> imake-4.2.0_1       Imake and other utilities from XFree86
> imake-4.3.0         Imake and other utilities from XFree86

Do a search on XFree86 and use the dependancies to delete it. You can do
this the "make search" way or you can use a tool called portsearch that
is located in
/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/portsearch
I copied it to a convenient location and then aliased it as
"alias search    'portsearch -n $1'". Then if you search ^XFree86-4
you can see all of the dependancies. A number of ports are associated
with XFree86 and have to be updated at the same time. All I see on a
search for build-deps is freetype2 and imake but there have always been
others.

A portupgrade -Rrf XFree86 would rebuild all of the important ones,
which includes all of the run-deps, and add any new ones that you need.
It is handy to not be running X-Windows when you do this.

You can remove all of XFree86 by
pkg_delete -f 'XFree86*' but you also need to delete both imake's. You
really have to reinstall everything that uses XFree86-libraries because
it is a static library and you have to build all of the ports that
refer to it. To do that, you just add "-r" to the pkg_delete command.
All you need at that point is the time it takes to do the new installs.
To rebuild XFree86 and all of the ports that use it can take quite a
bit of time.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart