4.9-RELEASE + XP Pro problem

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 20 19:45:00 PST 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:24, Joel Gudknecht wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm having a hell of a time getting XP Pro and 4.9 on the same drive.
> I've tried various ways to get them to co-exist to no avail.
> Here's what I'm trying to accomplish;
>
> 30 GB HD total
>
> First 24 GB = XP
>
> Last 6 GB = 4.9
>
> Installed XP first, then 4.9, said NONE at the boot menu during install.
>
> Went to reboot and bsd had taken over either the boot sector or the mbr.
>
> Tried xp recovery console, fixmbr, fixboot, nothing worked, bsd continues
> to boot up by default.
>
> What I want is to have the nt boot loader give the choice to boot into
> bsd by using the boot1 -> bootsect.bsd method in boot.ini.
>
> What I'm I doing wrong here?

What you have done should be fine. But some how the FBSD slice is marked
at the bootable slice.

In FBSD use fdisk to change the bootable slice to the XP slice, and all should
be well. You might find it convenient to first prepare a copy of the required
FreeBSD boot sector on a DOS floppy.

Don't take too much notice of people babbling on about "full BSD boot managers"
or GAG.

Malcolm