root is full

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Feb 18 15:01:51 PST 2004

> List,
>
> My root partition is full, but I cannot figure out how it got filled so
> fast the last security check claimed there to be 5% of capacity and now
> its at 108%. Where else can I check to see what is filling the root
> partition?

Run
   du -sk *
at the base of the file system (root in this case) where the problem is.
Then cd in to suspicious directories - those that look excessively big
and  run du again

Keep following bloated directories until you find your problem.
I would guess you have logs (var/log) and mail (/var/mail) still in root
and maybe even /tmp but who knows until you track it down a little better.

You may need to either revise your disk layout or at least
move some thing to a bigger partition and make symlinks.

////jerry