OpenOffice ports build...

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Feb 16 07:45:31 PST 2004

> Hello list,
>
> How would I install/obtain a compatible binary for OpenOffice 1.1.  I don't=
> =20
> have 4+GB for a ports build of it.  Either that, or how would I go about=20
> merging my /usr and /home partitions so that they're one and the same (like=
>  I=20
> should have done from install).

For openoffice go to  http://projecs.imp.ch/openoffice/

and install it as a package.   I have it running now.
Note, there is an error in instructions.  Instead of running 'openoffice'
after the install, presuming you put the .tgz file in /usr/local and
do the pkg_add on the file and it installs OK, then you need
to do:   /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/soffice
instead.            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
see it is soffice instead of openoffice to get started.

Also, it asks for a name of a directory to install in and I
shortened that long part marked with ^^^^^^ above during the
install and then set that  /usr/local/openoffice/program   in my path
and it works just fine.

As for combining your filesystems, it is not quite trivial though
the process is fairly straightforward if they happen to be
adjacent and contiguous.  Last week there was a whole series
of postings on that issue in the Email list.

But, you would probably be better off just moving some stuff
such as /usr/ports  and /usr/local  in to /home and making
symlinks to them.

Tar up /usr/ports
  cd /usr
  tar cvf /home/ports.tar ports
Unroll it in /home
  cd /home
  tar xvf ports.tar
  mv ports usr.ports      (I like to use this naming convention
                           you can name this as you please)
Make the symlink
  cd /usr
  mv ports ports.orig      (little safety, don't nuke it until checking)
  ln -s /home/usr.ports ports
Check it all out by CDing to /usr/ports and looking at stuff.  It should
now put you in to /home/usr.ports/   when you do  cd /usr/ports

Clean up
  cd /usr
  rm -r ports.orig
  cd /home
  rm ports.tar

Do the same (except for names) for /usr/local and possibly /usr/share
if gets large and even /usr/src if you feel the need.

Some of these steps can be combined, but this strung out procedure
makes me feel more secure than piping tar to tar and such.

////jerry