Install on 486 with floppy reboots after mfsroot

Jeremy Faulkner gldisater at gldis.ca
Sat Feb 14 07:37:02 PST 2004

matthew wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Brent Bowman wrote:
>

>>Oh boy, I guess that I've either got to find more RAM, find an
>>older/stripped down version of FreeBSD, or give up.
>>

> Well, if i was you i would get on the phone and call every
> household that you think has a basement full of junk.
> They will more than likely have an old computer down
> there you can take the ram from.
>

>>I looked around a little, how would I find a skinnier version
>>of FreeBSD for this old box.
>

> Did you try 3.5-RELEASE and cvsup to stable? I still run 3.4 and 3.5.

I have previously used install floppies from 3.2 (as this was the most
readily available version because I still have the cd set) to install
4.x on similar machines. However, these was quite a long time ago.

When using this method, in the options section change the release you
want to install from 3.2-RELEASE to the version you want to install from
the cd/ftp/etc. as appropriate. Watch vtty1 for /etc/libexec to be
installed and then you will be able to use vi in the holographic shell
to edit /etc/fstab to change the /dev/wd* to /dev/ad*. After this you
shouldn't have any problems.

Waiting until after the machine reboots before editing /etc/fstab can
result in headaches and is not recommended, but is not impossible(IIRC).

Again, I should point out that the last time I did this was with an
early release on the 4.x branch, I don't remember the exact version and
the old 486 that would testify to the procedure is at my parents house
pretending to be a paper weight.

Jeremy Faulkner				http://www.gldis.ca