FreeBSD and sendmail...

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Feb 11 15:56:57 PST 2004

Hello everyone,

I've been hacking away at Sendmail for the past couple days, trying to
learn it and set it up. Now, im using FreeBSD 4.9 and it comes with
8.12.9p2 by default.

I've been reading through the "Bat Book" and i've been able to figure out a
few things , like generating a updated sendmail.cf using the m4 processor.
Which is nice, but now im trying to figure out a few other things.

One thing I want to build into sendmail is smtp-auth, which requires
cyrus-sasl. I went ahead and installed cyrus-sasl.
After doing some research, I found out that I have to rebuild sendmail in
order to get the sasl part built in.

Sounds easy enough, but I'm confused on a few parts.

Basically, it says that you need to create a .m4 file and then add the
specifics of what you need. Once you do that, you are supposed to run the
./Build script. Well, im gathering that you need to be in directory in
order to use the ./Build script, which is simple enough if you have
downloaded the source. However, since I have not downloaded the source and
im using the version that came with FreeBSD, I am not sure where exactly it
is that I can find this ./Build script in order to rebuild sendmail. I know
there is the directory /usr/share/sendmail that contains many
subdirectories with information. But im a little confused on how i'm
supposed to rebuild sendmail here.

Anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

I appreciate it.

Jason