sendmail to a smarthost?

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sun Feb 8 06:51:06 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:31:10PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. In my LAN the DNS server is my ADSL modem ... small device that
> cannot do MX type of address lookup. I wish to configure a fax server
> (FreeBSD 5.2 + Hylafax) in the LAN to send emails to a group of people upon
> receiving fax. The problem is hylafax fax server can only use sendmail to
> send fax notification, but sendmail can send out emails only when it knows
> receipiant's MX ip.
>
> The only way I can think of is to let sendmail send mails by using my ISP's
> smtp server (need login). But I read sendmail(8), I didn't find how to
> configure sendmail to do this, nor did I find such information on the
> handbook. I'm not familiar with sendmail config.
>
> I hope I'm clear:) What should I do now? Do you have something to suggest
> me to read? Thank you.

To create your own sendmail configure file:

1. cd /etc/mail/
2. make && make install
3. vi /etc/mail/<hostname>.mc

This configuration has a example on how to use the SMART_HOST option. I'm
not sure about how to login. Then after you have configured it all do:

1. cd /etc/mail/
2. make && make install && make restart

The website of sendmail is: www.sendmail.org

Good luck,