FreeBSD Traffic Shaping?

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Thu Feb 5 21:30:21 PST 2004

Greetings all:

	I have a ADSL connection where the upstream pipe is smaller than
the downstream with it at 1.5Mbps/384kbps now and will be upgrading to
6Mbps/608kbps soon.  The issue I'm having is that whenever I upload, it
fills the upstream to full capacity and the downstream would lag as the
ACKs can't be send back in time.  I was told that with traffic shaping or
fair queue routing would solve this issue but I only have one NIC
interface as I am running FreeBSD on a fully loaded notebook with a
Pentium 4M-2.6Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM and 60GB 7200RPM HDD with a 10/100 3COM xl0
built in NIC.  The problem is that I have 8 static IP's with my ISP so
that the LAN IP's, x.x.x.224-.231 netmask 255.255.255.0 are all locally on
the LAN so I want those to use the full speed of the connection without
traffic shaping.  The NIC also has the 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.0.0
addresses for the local LAN as well so how do I setup traffic shaping in
this scenario so that only traffic that actually uses x.x.x.1 from the
x.x.x.224 IP that isn't local LAN traffic actually use traffic shaping or
fair queue routing while LAN traffic will just use the full speed.  I
already have these options in the KERNEL config.

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT
options         DUMMYNET
options         BRIDGE

	Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin