NAT and IPFW rules

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 2 07:09:29 PST 2004

Hello Friend

First I agree with you the FBSD handbook documentation on firewall
software sucks big time. It leads the reader into believing that
ipfw is the only solution when it is not. FBSD is delivered with
ipfw and IPFILTER which are both firewall software applications. The
second thing that the sparse ipfw documentation falls to say, is an
firewall that does not use stateful rules is not very secure. The
real show stopper is ipfw with stateful rules using the 'keep state'
option does not work when used with the divert/nated legacy
sub-routine. What this means is ipfw with stateful rules can only be
used if 'user ppp -nat' is how you connect to the public internet.

IPFILTER 's stateful rules work fine, and it has it's own external
ipnat function.  I strongly recommend you drop ipfw and instead use
IPFILTER as it's the superior firewall software solution from the
ease of use of stateful rules.

If you use 'user ppp" to connect to the public internet and want to
continue to use ipfw, I have ipfw stateful rule set I can send you.

If you want to use IPFILTER, I can sent of an rule set for it also
along with links to doc sites.