KDE on 5.2-Release

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Sun Feb 1 15:50:54 PST 2004

On Sunday 01 February 2004 02:09, mj001 wrote:

> I downloaded and installed 5.2-RELEASE.  KDE comes up with its
> blue background, shows the login dialog, apparently accepts
> the login, but then hangs.  The central splash-screen image
> never appears.
>
> Any similar experience, suggestions of how to diagnose the
> problem, please? Anything else I can post that would help?

I suppose you're using kdm. Disable it, then create an .xinitrc, with like so:
echo 'exec /usr/local/bin/startkde' > ~/.xinitrc

then type 'startx'.

WARNING: Backup your files when needed and if you fear losing settings,
consider setting up a virgin user account first.

If this works properly, this narrows down the problem to kdm. If it doesn't,
then CTRL-ALT_BACKSPACE to stop X and KDE and start x via:
nohup startx

Exit the same way when it hangs and examine nohup.out for errors and oddities.
--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Wed Jan 28
18:01:18 CET 2004
root at sarevok.lan.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAREVOK_NOAPM_NODEBUG
i386