iTunes server setup not going well

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Dec 31 23:05:39 PST 2004

On Dec 31, 2004, at 9:41 PM, jason henson wrote:

>> [did that...  I have downloaded Rendezvous.tar.gz and
>> mDNSResponder-58.8.tar.gz to /usr/ports/distfiles/]
>> 	"After doing this, go back to /usr/ports/net/rendezvous (if needed)
>> and type: make install clean"
>> BUT... but... there is no /usr/ports/net/rendezvous !
>
> ports/net/p5-Net-Rendezvous

They're the same?  I had seen that one but didn't realize it was the
same.

>> I thought maybe that I had to build mDNSResponder first, so I tried
>> that:
>> freebsd# cd /usr/ports/net/mDNSResponder/
>> freebsd# make install clean
>> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
>> ===>  Extracting for mDNSResponder-58.8
>> => Checksum OK for mDNSResponder-58.8.tar.gz.
>> => Checksum OK for mDNSdocs-1.0.tar.gz.
>> ===>  Patching for mDNSResponder-58.8
>> ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for mDNSResponder-58.8
>> 4 out of 5 hunks failed--saving rejects to mDNSPosix/Makefile.rej
>> => Patch patch-mDNSPosix::Makefile failed to apply cleanly.
>> => Patch(es) patch-NetMonitor.c patch-Responder.c
>> patch-mDNSCore::mDNSClientAPI.h applied cleanly.
>> *** Error code 1
>
> Don't download it yourself, do make fetch, or just make install.
> Looks like you are downloading a different version than has been
> ported.  If you want the port updated contact the maintainer.

OK, I think I've got it working now.

Except that  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mDNSResponder.sh didn't exist

I copied /usr/ports/net/mDNSResponder/files/mDNSResponder.sh there, but
it clearly expects to be automatically configured by the installation
program.

#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: mDNSResponder
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: FreeBSD

. %%RC_SUBR%%

name=mDNSResponder
rcvar=`set_rcvar`

command=%%PREFIX%%/sbin/mDNSResponder

mDNSResponder_enable=${mDNSResponder_enable:-"NO"}
mDNSResponder_flags=${mDNSResponder_flags:-"-b -n `/bin/hostname -s`"}

pidfile="/var/run/mDNSResponder.pid"

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

# end

There's no 'mDNSResponder' in any sbin folder, there is one in
/usr/local/bin/mDNSResponder, so I tried changing that line to

command=/usr/local/bin/mDNSResponder

but then I get

set_rcvar: not found
load_rc_config: not found
run_rc_command: not found

I suspect that may have something to do with this line:

. %%RC_SUBR%%

and I have no idea what that should be.

So I Googled "RC_SUBR mDNSResponder" and came across
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-September/
015760.html which suggested I use ". /usr/local/etc/rc.subr" which
doesn't exist (maybe that's where it was for 4.x?) it is now at
/etc/rc.subr so I used this:

. /etc/rc.subr

so now I can run

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mDNSResponder.sh start

without error

Does it work?

Well, we'll have to wait until I get to the office and check.

TjL