Programming with Bourne or C shell

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Dec 31 22:11:14 PST 2004

Michael Madden wrote:
[ ... ]
> Are most FreeBSD users still using csh or tcsh has their interactive
> shell and sh for programming?  I think it would be nice to use the same
> interactive and programming shell for consistency.

Most FreeBSD shell scripts seem to be written for /bin/sh.  Many FreeBSD users
seem to pick one of bash, ksh, or zsh for their interactive shell, and just
take a bit of care when writing scripts to use syntax which is
backward-compatible with /bin/sh.

If you're happy with bash, there's no reason not to use with FreeBSD as well.

--
-Chuck