ssh protocol in 5.3

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Dec 31 16:33:49 PST 2004

John Conover wrote:

 >> From 5.3 do ssh -1 mylog at myhost.com. You can also set a protocol, 1 or
 >
 > 2, in the ssh configs, either globally in /etc/ssh ... or
 > ~/.ssh/config.
 >
 > You can also use both, at the same time. ~/.ssh/known_hosts and
 > ~/.ssh/authorized_keys can have both protocol 1 and 2 records in the
 > same file; the identity files are different for 1 an 2, but have
 > different file names in 1 and 2, so can coexist in ~/.ssh.
 >
 >     John
 >
 > Robin Becker writes:
 >
 >> I have just upgraded one of my systems from 4.9 to 5.3 and even
after restoring my old .ssh folder it seems I cannot get ssh on a 4.9
system to use protocol 1 with the 5.3 system.

 >> Am I being stupid or must I go through the pain of creating a whole
new set of keys for protocol 2.

 >> We use protocol 1 for legacy reasons ie we have a very old
implementation of ssh on our win32 PCs.

thanks to all for the helpful replies. As an aside

I received this by  personal email

"""Just FYI, 5.3 is not an "upgrade" from 4.9. Its about 25% slower. Do
a google groups search with "mailing.freebsd.questions 5.3 performance
tests". Robert Watson gives a pretty good explanation about the work
that needs to be done to get 5.3 up to production standards."""

I 'upgraded' to 5.3 because I see now that 4.x is regarded as a legacy
OS so decided to try it out. Can other more experienced people comment
on the above? Should I revert to 4.11 when it appears?
--
Robin Becker