re-making bind on 5.3-REL

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 31 07:49:49 PST 2004

"J.D. Bronson" <jbronson at wixb.com> writes:

> I deleted my named during some aggressive clean up.
> I have all the source installed on my system, but was wondering if
> someone can point me to directions on how to recompile the built-in
> version of Bind
> that came with 5.3 ...

Could be a good opportunity to update the whole system, which will be
less prone to further errors on your part.
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
and
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

If you just want to reinstall what you originally got from a fresh
release install, it's probably easier to get it from the distribution
(in whatever form you used for the original install) than to rebuild
it.

If you really want to rebuild it from source, and not rebuild anything
else, you should be able to do something along the lines of
"cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/named && make && make install",
but you may need to set a few other variables, too...

Good luck.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/