Problems with MySQL and SNORT after Reboot

Mattias Björk mattias.bjork at sydnet.net
Thu Dec 30 15:54:25 PST 2004

Dear list,

After a power failure and my computers went down, I have been starting
to get error messages in sys log and on the console:

Dec 28 19:50:52 setiathome snort: database: mysql_error: Can't open
file: 'event.MYI'. (errno: 145) SQL=INSERT INTO event
(sid,cid,signature,timestamp) VALUES ('1', '10', '4', '2004-12-28
19:50:52.597+001')

Im not an expert on SQL and database servers etc and have followed this
guide to make snort work with MySQL:

http://bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/security/snortreport.php

I didn't find that too hard and it worked when I did it some months ago.
But now after the reboot/restart of the system, the fault that I
described abow have arised. I have had similar power failures before and
that did not create this problem.

And I have checked in /var/db/mysql/snort after the file event.MYI and
its there:

setiathome/var/db/mysql/snort# ls -l event.*  9:35PM
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql   560343 Dec 28 13:27 event.MYD
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql  1786880 Dec 28 16:38 event.MYI
-rw-rw----  1 mysql  mysql     8642 Nov 13 18:29 event.frm
setiathome/var/db/mysql/snort#

So Im clueless to what could be causing the problem that I have. Perhaps
its the wrong list to send this mail. But I thought that its the closest
  that I could think off.

Best regards Mattias Björk