Something wrong in stable 5.3?

Mark Cullen mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Dec 30 11:46:10 PST 2004

Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm confusing now: about a month ago I have upgrated from FreeBSD
> 5.2.1 to stable 5.3. Since this moment strange things have been
> happens on my PC. Usually system works Ok, and can be run as long
> as I need without errors. But sometime, (after a little time
> after the boot) all begin crashed (core dump --- signal 11).
> Crashed base utility, like `cat', `sh' etc.
>
> Today I have cvsup'ed to stable 5.3 again, and build world again,
> but problem don't go away.
>
> I don't understand what I should do to detect source of problem...
>
> Have you any idea?

Sounds like possible overheating? I had base utils core dump randomly
after a while when I tried running an old .. Celeron 400(?) with a big
chunk AMD heatsink on and without a fan. After I noticed I plugged the
fan back in and all was well again.

--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at