FreeBSD server(s) to backup multi-platform systems remotely

Mark boxend at redtick.homeunix.com
Thu Dec 30 09:12:35 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:55:18AM -0500, Danny wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:31:34 -0800 (PST), Dave McCammon
> <davemac11 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I haven't caught all of this thread but I'll share
> > what I do.
> > I use rsync to sync file to a server for backup.
> > 6 FreeBSD and one Win2K which have been set up to
> > rsync at different times in the morning hours.
>
> Any of this communcation/transfer encrypted or compressed? What type
> of backup would you compare your solution to -- incremental,
> differential, full, etc.?
>
> How many GB's you transfer?
>
> > On the Win2k machine, I have cygwin running that I use
> > to rsync the data over every night. I think there is
> > rsync for windows but I liked the command line
> > capabilities that cygwin gives me.
> > All use ssh in the rsync.
> [...]
>
> How do you restore files?
>

> ...D

Thats the rub with windows, or I think so, you can back it up
but getting it to reload is the big if.

I've restored a few programs from a backup, they run but they appear as
bastar* exe, not in the reg. but will run without errors.

If you load fresh you lose updated stuff, database index is not right for
the updated program. Sorry just a personal rant.

No such thing as a perfect backup yet.