FreeBSD server(s) to backup multi-platform systems remotely

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Dec 29 23:16:53 PST 2004

I would agree with this if the goal is to be able to restore a busted
server.

If the goal of the backup is merely to archive DATA, then this isn't
true.  Of course, it's important to understand that archiving data and
backing up the server are two different things.  With a server backup
the goal is to create a restore set that allows you to come back
from a flat server with a minimum amount of effort and time.  With
a data archive there is no goal to create a restore set - instead
you want to get the data centralized and put to a medium that you
have a ghost of a chance of being able to read in 10 years. (and
that ain't Arcserve, my friends)

Ted