i386 doesn't like S-ATA

Alexei Stukov stukov25 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 08:50:54 PST 2004

Hi,

  I was recently running FreeBSD 5.3 on AMD64, and everything was fine
(exception made for linux compatibility... but that's another story).
Then, I removed everything and installed FreeBSD 5.3 i386. Everything
work fine, until I decided to CVSUP my ports. It connected, then
downloaded the ports but, after a while (1 or 2 minutes) I got the
following error :

ad4: TIMEOUT - Read DMA (...)
ad4: Failure - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
ad4: Warning - removed from configuration
ata2-master: Failure - Read DMA Timed out

The thing I don't understand is why it doesn't work here and worked on
AMD64. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks.