i'm lost in named trouble.

Mark Magiera mark at hyow.eu.org
Wed Dec 29 08:49:45 PST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:00:04 +0100 (MET)
Mipam <mipam at ibb.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I configured plenty of nameservers also with bind9, but this time
> i cannot figure out what's wrong anymore, i'm lost.
> When i do host 127.0.0.1, i get a normal answer.
> When i do host localhost, i get a normal answer.
> When i do dig localhost, i get a normal answer.
> When i do dig 127.0.0.1, i get no answer and i keep waiting .... :-(
The reason you get no answer at all is beacuse you've not setup bind to
forward unresolved queries to other dns servers. Even then you wouldn't
get the answer you expect because you're using the wrong command.

> [snip]
>
> So dig asks an A record, and host ask a PTR record.
> Can anybody tell me what is wrong with my config?
> I don't know anymore how to resolve the issue with dig 127.0.0.1
> anymore. What am i doing wrong??
You're just trying to check if rDNS is working, right? If so, with
dig, the command to check rDNS is either
`dig -x 127.0.0.1` or `dig 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa`

> Bye,
>
> Mipam.

-- Mark Magiera